Saturday 6 September 2014

Books to Read

I'm really liking this 10 books game on Facebook! I'm learning about so many new books and also realizing that I have a looong way to go in terms of literature. My reading has been quite narrow so far: limited to the most famous classics and contemporary best-sellers. I still haven't read Ayn Rand or explored any different kind of writing. Of course, I have always believed that it is quality and not quantity that matters; I never want to read a book just so that I can say I have read it! I'll read only what I really feel like reading and no MBA admission interview is going to change that :D

Here are some books that I plan to read, compiled from lists of my Facebook friends:
  • Atlas Shrugged - Ayn Rand
  • The Fountainhead - Ayn Rand
  • The Mother - Maxim Gorky
  • Three Men in a Boat - Jerome K. Jerome
  • The Great Gatsby - Scott F. Fitzgerald
  • Midnight's Children - Salman Rushdie
  • War and Peace - Leo Tolstoy
  • Heidi - Johanna Spyri
  • Blandings series - P.G. Wodehouse
  • A Suitable Boy - Vikram Seth
  • Catcher in the Rye - J.D. Salinger
  • The God of Small Things - Arundhati Roy
  • Haruki Murakami
  • Orhan Pamuk
  • Gabriel Garcia Marquez
  • The Metamorphosis - Frank Kafka
  • Mrityunjay
That's all I can find for now! I'm sure there were more and I'm not able to remember who posted them :(
It was interesting to see how many people mentioned one of Khaled Hosseini's books. Considering he has written only 3-4, he should be proud of himself for making such an impact. Also, it was nice to see almost all readers giving due credit to Enid Blyton! I had thought people might feel she's too chindi to be mentioned. She has certainly made most of our childhoods though she has her share of critics (infact, even I have noticed she is a bit of a racist). But we can't ignore all the good she's done us!

Now, good luck to me with this list!


No comments:

Post a Comment