Wednesday 21 May 2014

The Yellow Wallpaper

What a delightful and disturbing read! Especially because I didn't know it was fictional and I thought someone actually went through all that.There is nothing much I want to say about it, except highly recommend it, because I'm unable to explain why I liked it so much. I think it was the crazy imagination and beautiful language (there was something about her language). And somehow, after I came to know that it was one of the earliest feminist works, I liked it much more. Funny because it doesn't explicitly say anything about female suppression or female rebellion: it's just a crazy lady describing in great detail the wallpaper she's obsessed with! But it somehow makes me feel as if something important has been said on behalf of women. Of course, it's purpose was to show how women with mental ailments were neglected in those times so it's not all that random. But it's a very, very subtle feminist work because to me atleast, there didn't seem to be any attempt to convey a message and it was just a crazy story :) One that has to be read!

No comments:

Post a Comment