Monday 1 October 2012

Memorable Book Beginnings

The first line of a book can be quite important because it often sets the tone for the rest of the book and writers have often used it to great effect. Here are a list of beginnings that are memorable. Some of them are obvious choices, some very witty and ironical, and some have this ring of significance that can be felt but cannot be explained(as with many of the best things in the world!)

Call me Ishmael.
-Moby Dick

It was the best of times, it was the worst of times, it was the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness, it was the epoch of belief, it was the epoch of incredulity, it was the season of Light, it was the season of Darkness, it was the spring of hope, it was the winter of despair, we had everything before us, we had nothing before us, we were all going direct to Heaven, we were all going direct the other way--in short, the period was so far like the present period, that some of its noisiest authorities insisted on its being received, for good or for evil, in the superlative degree of comparison only.
- A Tale of Two Cities

Whether I shall turn out to be the hero of my own life, or whether that station will be held by anybody else, these pages must show. To begin my life with the beginning of my life, I record that I was born (as I have been informed and believe) on a Friday, at twelve o'clock at night. It was remarked that the clock began to strike, and I began to cry, simultaneously.

-David Copperfield

Scarlett O'Hara was not beautiful, but men seldom realized it when caught by her charm as the Tarleton twins were.
-Gone with the Wind

It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune must be in want of a wife. 
-Pride and Prejudice

Mr. and Mrs. Dursley, of number four, Privet Drive, were proud to say that they were perfectly normal, thank you very much.
-Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone

This is just a few books and I'll keep adding more as and when I get them.

No comments:

Post a Comment